Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Sportsmanship sound-off.....



Do you know who this guy is in the picture? Well, I decided to ask my 11th and 12th grade students the same question. The reason why I ask is that this guy has been involved in a bit of controversy in the NFL. Seems Mr. Hochuli, the officials name, made a mistake in judgement in a recent pro football game that ended up costing the San Diego Chargers a potential victory. Well, Mr. Hochuli came out shortly after the game and admitted that he made a mistake and even apologized in public. In fact, he responded to the several hundred pieces of "hate" email that he received after the game as well.

In my humble opinion, Hochuli did not have to do this. I respect and admire him for doing so. So I asked my students to elaborate on whether Hochuli, or any other official, should be expected to respond to emails in the future, especially if they have already made a public statement. It is too early to post any results from my class. What say you?

No comments: