Monday, September 29, 2008

So how do we know if the students are really doing the work?


This is the question I get a lot from outsiders, insiders too. I even was dubious about it myself when I first interviewed for the job.


We pretty much let student go on the honor system. I tend to give assignments that include concepts and require written feedback from the student. As a result, they can tell me they did an activity but they have to explain it adequately to satisfy my concern that they did what they say they did. This may not always be enough, however.


Lately, I have been working on developing a plan that would require students to "prove" or authenticate that they are doing the physical activity portions of the assignment. There are a number of ways - students get a notarized signature that they participated in an activity, send pictures or film of themselves performing the assigned task or activity, meet students at scheduled locations during the semester etc.....


One idea I have been considering is that if students cannot prove they did the physical activity then they can only pass with a certain grade, maybe a C letter grade at best. I would not fail students for lack of evidence of working out, particularly if they do everything else that is required, but I am thinking that they should no longer pass with flying colors either.


Any thoughts out there on this sensitive issue? I think the ideas in my blog are a step in the right direction.

No comments: