Saturday, September 27, 2008

MyFitnessPal


I asked my 12th grade students to check out the http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ website this past week. Students were required to log in every day and record their meals. The website diary would then generate a list of calories consumed and break it down to protein, fat and carbohydrates.

I also asked students to log in any physical activity that they did on those days as well. The net product was a report that the website generated tabulating 4 days worth of food consumption and physical activity. The results so far have been good. While requesting this kind of assignment may not be so unique, it seems to have a lot of merit because it ties nutrition and physical activity together as well as physical education with technology.

3 comments:

Patrick D said...

Sounds like a great website. I use mypryamid.gov for the same information. It is a great interactive site for users of all ages.

Mr. Campsie's official PE blog said...

Patrick,

I use mypyramid.gov extensively as well during our nutrition unit. They have some great podcasts on there these days.

Katie Fazio said...

With the instances of eating disorders being at an all time high, this assignment is extremely pertinent and important for our students! I actually liked it for myself, too!

Respectfully,
Kate Fazio
PALO Teacher